We’re excited to announce a search for our first organizer! EQNY is seeking a part-time short-term organizer who will focus on the 2018 LGBTQI Advocacy Day in Albany, NY. The role will be to work with a dedicated coalition of organizations and activists to ensure that Advocacy Day on May 8th is a success.
We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis and looking to make a decision as soon as possible. The job description is below. Interested candidates should email their cover letter and resume to email@example.com
STATEWIDE ORGANIZER for LGBTQI ADVOCACY DAY
Part Time Contractor
February through May 2018
EQNY builds a social and political voice for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, and Instersex communities of New York State. We work with leaders from all around New York in an intentionally collaborative, inclusive, diverse, and respectful way. We aim to advance LGBTQI protective policy, convene and organize LGBTQI leaders, people, and organizations, and elect candidates who support the various needs of our diverse community throughout the state.
The Statewide Organizer will be responsible for coordinating the statewide LGBTQI Advocacy Day in Albany, NY on May 8th, 2018. This position will focus primarily on coalition building and engagement among organizations that have an interest in the wellbeing of LGBTQI people.
EQNY utilizes a model of building power among individuals and organizations. The Statewide Organizer would be expected to implement this model by assisting with communications, coalition building efforts, and other tasks necessary to mounting Advocacy Day. This includes supporting the various committees established by the committee.
Examples of activities include the following. In addition to the below, the role serves as the chief organizer of Advocacy Day ensuring all aspects are successful. All of this work is accomplished with volunteer support from the coalition and its committees.
- Engaging in outreach to increase registration for Advocacy Day, including supporting coalition members in this task.
- Ensuring logistics are taken care of, including coordinating appointments with legislators, materials are prepared.
- Communicating with registrants and coalition on a regular basis
- Keeping the master task list and ensuring things don’t fall through the cracks
- Coordinating information about transportation and lodging options.
- Be central point person for all aspects of Advocacy Day.
Requirements / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, self-motivated individual who has strong interpersonal, oral and writing, and facilitation skills. Candidates must demonstrate interest and experience with LGBTQI communities and issues, as well as a willingness to approach these issues through a racial justice lens. A deep commitment to social justice is required.
The ideal candidate:
- Willingness to work alone and as a team in an LGBTQI centered environment.
- Ability to lead campaigns is a must.
- A strong commitment to teamwork and to working with and promoting the leadership of people directly affected by the issues we work on.
- Excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated substantive strength in one or more key areas of EQNY’s work.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate calls, coordinate coalitions, and develop partnerships among a wide and diverse array of stakeholders.
- Proficiency with common business software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, email).
- This is a work from home role and candidates from all areas of New York State are welcome.
This is an hourly position budgeted for 20 hours a week. The position will require regular communication and coalition coordination via phone and email.
Pease send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org